Ghostly Tales and Haunts in Fort Bend County


The Moore house.

Sitting around a campfire, late at night, stories are told of strange occurrences that happened many years ago. Unexplained ghostly tales that are a part of the history of Fort Bend County are embellished to bring chills to a captive audience. Several well-known areas in Rosenberg and Richmond have proven time and time again to baffle the skeptics, and the stories keep getting better.

If you are driving through Rosenberg and see a vacant church, keep going. The story of Isaac, a minister who preached for twelve years in this church, claimed there were noises and strange happenings inside the church building. No one paid attention to his concerns, so he left. When Leonard, the next preacher arrived, he discovered the same peculiar sounds and moving items. He decided to investigate to find the cause. He checked the building and land records and found the church was built on a slave cemetery. A new modern church was built down the street from the old church. This vacant structure remains, imaginably with the ghosts?

The Moore house in Richmond was built in 1883 by John Moore, a respected and generous individual. He had several extra rooms built for guests to stay. He also had several children that grew up in the home. One of his daughters came home to have her first baby. Tragically, she had complications, her baby died, and she passed away giving birth. One of the housekeepers who was close to her would go upstairs and see the rocking chair moving back and forth in her room. Family members firmly believed this was the ghost daughter of John Moore.

Old Fort Bend County Jail.

The log cabin that was moved to Decker Park in Richmond was once home to the Brown family. They lived in it and worked the land, sharing it with the Indians all winter. When spring came, and the Indians were leaving, five young braves came to steal horses. The Browns had to kill three of the thieves to stop them. To this day, on the anniversary of the killing, moaning, crying and hollering can be heard around the cabin in Decker Park.

After the 1900 hurricane, the Fort Bend County Courthouse on Morton Street was badly damaged. A new courthouse was built in 1907 on Jackson Street in downtown Richmond. The county judge had a large clock installed to strike on the hour and half-hour. When the clock needed repair, a repairman came from Houston on a Friday. He climbed the clock tower to fix the chimes on the clock; the employees could hear him making repairs. At 5 pm, everyone left, assuming all the work was done. When they returned on Monday morning, they discovered the man had died. Soon after this unfortunate event, the clock would strike six times, when it was 1 am. Perhaps this was the time the repairman died?

The Richmond Police Department building on Preston Street was originally the city jail. The well on the premises was abandoned years ago. Since it was a known fact that people threw discarded items into the well to fill it up, archaeologists dug into the well to find hidden artifacts from over one hundred years ago. At one point during the dig, they thought they heard moans and felt the air turn cold. Once investigated, they discovered the answer in the history of the jail. A prisoner had died in one of the cells, and he had no relatives, so the jailer dropped his body down the well and covered it with dirt. The well was never disturbed again.

We wish all of our readers a very Spooky Halloween!